Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Cut the crap...


If someone were to ask me what my pet-hate is, I would say that aside from people that walk really slowly, it's people that 'air their dirty laundry' on social media. Don't get me wrong, I understand that it's there for people to share certain parts of their lives, I'm talking about the people who literally put the ins and outs of their lives for all to see when certain things, in my opinion, should remain private.

It's not so much the 'if your relationship is shit' part that bothers me. I understand and sympathise with people that are going through a hard time. There are those that do not have people they can turn to so they use social media to vent their sadness/frustrations. There are people that I really like and respect that have fallen prey to over-sharing their business on the likes of Facebook because they want people telling them that they hope they're okay and that everything will be fine. It offers some sort of solace. When the emotional-hangover wears off I'm sure alot of them who have shared a very personal issue on Facebook regret doing so but in the heat of the moment you can lose that sense of reality. I can't say I've ever done this myself. When I was 18 and I discovered my boyfriend at the time was actually engaged to somebody else, I straightened my hat, put my bitch face on and never let anyone know how heartbroken I was (not on Facebook anyway. My Mum and my friends were the ones getting the tearful phonecalls and drunken heart-to-hearts about how much of a wanker he is and I can't believe this has happened blah blah blah.) That was years ago now, and I am still very much the same. Not everyone can 'shut down' like I can, it certainly doesn't make me a better person than those who over-express themselves. I just think that sometimes, just sometimes, you have to get your bitch-face out, put your strait-jacket on (not actually physically possible but you catch my drift) and refrain from typing.

I do however, get really pissed off by people who portray their lives as something it's not. Let me get this straight, I love seeing people happy. Social media should be used in a positive way. Achievements, announcements, your child hitting milestones, people getting married, people passing their driving tests, I love seeing stuff like that. It's when Kelly writes 'Love you' on Bartholomew's Facebook wall and about 10 people 'like' it and Bartholomew writes back something like 'love you too babes' and about 4 more people like it. Call me old-fashioned but I'm thinking Kelly and Bartholomew could have just said it to each other you know, in person. Or when Sharon writes a long-ass status about how lucky she is to have Jerry and you know full well that Sharon and Jerry fucking hate each others guts most of the time because Sharon gets royally pissed off when Jerry comes back from work and goes straight to the pub. OR when Shabooboo and Brody post that their going on a 'date night' and subsequently post 50 selfies of said date night when in actual fact if Shabooboo and Brody were enjoying each other's company, they wouldn't feel the need to take photos and post them on social media for some sort of 'relationship validation.'  Life is a battle enough without people using social media as a platform to pretend that they're leading fucking fantastic lives that everybody should envy. People who feel the need to constantly post how fucking fantastic their lives are, probably aren't leading very fucking fantastic lives.

I may seem like I'm contradicting myself because in one breath I'm saying that you shouldn't post how crap things are but then in another I'm also saying you shouldn't post how bloody brilliant things are. What I'm saying is, stop with the bullshit. Plain and simple. If your life is genuinely, at that moment in time, brilliant and you are experiencing wonderful things and your child just rolled over for the first time or you've just been proposed to on the Eiffel Tower then by all means share it with the world. If things currently aren't too peachy, don't pretend it is to everybody on Facebook. You're not achieving anything.

On reading what I've just written back, I've realised I sound like a right moaning minge! I'm not really that much of a judgemental cow, I just detest those who impose their artificial bull-crap on others but I also live by the saying "each to their own" so I'll shut up now.

*Note: Characters and events in this blog post are entirely fictional and only loosely based on bullshit I have witnessed with my own eyes on social media. I do not currently have a Facebook friend called Bartholomew. Or Shabooboo.

The Kitschy Mumma 


Absolutely Prabulous
Mummuddlingthrough
Diary of an imperfect mum

25 comments:

  1. This is the exact reason that I don't do Facebook at all, not even for my blog - I cannot bear it! When things are not great for me, I just don't post anything on the blog or on Instagram. I totally get where you are coming from, I have seen people messaging each other on Facebook when they are in the same room - what on earth is that all about?!? Fab post x #candidcuddles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrrrr tell me about it! It's when they have full blown conversations and they're in the same house. Mind = blown! Thanks for reading and commenting 😁 X

      Delete
  2. Totally agree with you. Facebook gets right on my wick with things like this! Not moany at all - completely reading my mind!! #candidcuddles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad others see it as well! Thanks for reading lovely πŸ™‚ X

      Delete
  3. Moaning minge, love it! What I hate as well is people writing shit like "happy 1st birthday to my little boym love mummy". Erm does your one year old have a Facebook account. Thought not. Nob! #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I am a tad guilty of putting a status up when it's my daughter's birthday πŸ™ˆ(although I don't put love mummy on the end because as you quite rightly say, she doesn't have Facebook ) thanks for reading lovely! X

      Delete
  4. Moaning minge, love it! What I hate as well is people writing shit like "happy 1st birthday to my little boym love mummy". Erm does your one year old have a Facebook account. Thought not. Nob! #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! Yep, this pretty much sums up why my facebook account went in the bin a few years back. Never. Looked. Back.
    Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think I should do the same haha thanks for having me πŸ™‚ X

      Delete
  6. This is perfect. You've nailed it! I have a few people who do these things and while I could unfollow them sometimes I feel like i'm watching a train wreck, it's awful but I. just. can't. look. away. haha x #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Sometimes I can't help but go out of my way to look at these people's pages- perhaps I'm as sad as them haha thanks for reading! X

      Delete
  7. I used to use facebook a lot in my teens, and I now cringe at some of the stuff I put on there (mostly despairing, moody, typical-teenage stuff). But you live and learn! #ABloggingGoodTime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god I looked back at mine from when I first had it and I can't believe the way I typed πŸ™ˆ Cringe! X

      Delete
  8. Hurrah to this! Why do people post messages to each other publicly: like your "I love Bob", when "Bob" is clearly sat on the sofa next to her. Treat yourselves to a conversation darn it and save us the eye ache! Good rant and excellent quote! #candidcuddles x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! Whatever happened to good old fashioned talking (or texting) X

      Delete
  9. I know what you mean completely. It's hard to categorise the kind of people / statuses that are annoying but you just get a vibe. There are the people just sharing and there are the people trying to get attention. My biggest pet peeve on social media is the people who write things like "OH MY GOD!!!" or "Super happy about what happened today!!!" who are blatantly digging for attention! #CoolMumClub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! Someone always comments "what's wrong Hun?" and the reply is "will pm you" Does my head in haha x

      Delete
  10. Yes indeed. I cringe at the relationship status posts on Facebook. I don't understand the point except maybe it's some way of venting or showing off? Your first quote made me laugh out loud! Thanks so much for joining us at #candidcuddles, I hope you can make it back again next week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will deff be back again πŸ™‚ Thanks for reading. I think there's some sort of psychological thing behind over-sharing or just like you said, showing off. Thanks for reading X

      Delete
  11. That first facebook quote. Hilarious! I actually shared (on FB ba ha haaa) something about this very thing a couple of weeks ago knowing it was a bit cheeky because several of my friends do this. I had a bit of a moan about people who wish each other Happy Anniversary and profess their mutual love WHEN THEY COULD HAVE JUST SAID IT TO EACH OTHER WHEN THEY WOKE UP THAT MORNING. Or you know...given each other a card... Still, I probably do things that annoy people on social media too :) Thanks for sharing this on #candidcuddles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect people moan about things I do too haha I definitely don't understand the "happy anniversary" posts! Thanks for having me πŸ™‚ X

      Delete
  12. Hi, love it! And well said. One of my pet dislikes is c**p and bull**it. Why can't people just be more honest? I live by the very sad mantra that if something appears too good to be true then it probably is. But the up side of my outlook is that not only am I not easily taken in, but I don't get disappointed by people that easily either (dogs dumpers and poisoners aside).

    I am on FB, mainly for blogging purposes and staying in contact (privately) with family in the UK. And it is by far my least favourite Social Media platform. Out of all of them it is the most smug platform and uncomfortably so!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks for your comment! Facebook is definitely the worst platform for broadcasting your life, I just think be your bloody self! Stop pretending things are peachy if they're not! Glad others get what I mean😁 X

      Delete
  13. I know what you mean - fine to share but there is overshare and surely airing your dirty laundry in public doesnt portray you in a very good light?!
    Thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me! Definitely such thing as 'over sharing', some people just have no filter X

      Delete