Sunday, 25 September 2016

Where's the justice for the children?

It's 11.15pm on a Saturday night, I'm tired after a long day with my Daughter who has suspected chicken pox, and I know that inevitably she will be up before 6am but I can't sleep. For the first time ever I'm typing from my bed and not my 60 year old Formica desk in the shitty lean-to. I'm doing this because I have to write this blog post. It's something I feel so passionately about it literally eats me up inside. I normally keep my blog posts light-hearted. I like to swear. I like to attempt to be raise-a-small-smile funny. But I'm not sure this will be so light-hearted because this blog post is about the UK criminal justice system. A system whereby you get threatened with prison for not paying your Council Tax, but you could commit serious assaults and not even see the inside of a prison cell.

I'm an extremely anxious parent. I avoid reading stories about children coming to any sort of harm as the paranoia that ensues drives me flippin mental. I will lose sleep if I happen to read something that really hits a nerve. But there were two occasions where I happened to read about two of the most heinous crimes that I believe have ever been committed. They both happened in the UK. They both involved children and in both cases, justice was not served. I stopped reading and watching the news for a good few months after reading both of these stories as I was so completely fucking disgusted and enraged and heartbroken for the poor children that had to suffer. If you don't read on, I completely understand. I haven't gone into too much detail regarding the crimes as I am already a bag of nerves just writing this but I believe attention needs to be brought. These two stories are horrific but our justice system needs a MASSIVE change. We need sentences that fit the crimes, especially when vulnerable children are the victims.

Andrew Boeckman (who was incidentally allowed to be tried under a different name) is an ex-Eton public schoolboy who was convicted of making and distributing over 2000 indecent images of children. Some as young as two years old. Quite frankly it is so horrifying that I've had to skim over the parts that describe the content of the images. I've read and re-read enough to know that this vile cretin who would take photos of these innocent children being subjected to some of the worst acts you could ever think of is not currently in prison. Guess what? He's not even on the fucking sex offenders register! Why is this? Because his Father is a millionaire Lawyer who is credited for getting the Bankers out of shite. They live near the Houses of Parliament. This piece of shit has probably had one of the most privileged upbringings you can imagine. So privileged that he can be handed a ten month suspended prison sentence for committing unspeakable, detestable, abhorrent crimes against vulnerable children. WHERE IS THE JUSTICE?  This depraved monster was born with a silver spoon in his gob which means that even our weak justice system does not apply to him. Let's not forget those other twisted bastards who participated in the watching and circulation. I don't believe they have been convicted either. Andrew Boeckman did get a £1200 fine though, which to him is pocket change. I'm sure that £1200 will go far in getting back the innocence of these children that has been so cruelly taken away in the most atrocious of ways.

Kevin Park is a "man" who savagely murdered his girlfriend's 2 year old Daughter in April 2014. The officer in charge commented that it was the worst thing he had ever seen. Once again, the details are too horrific to go into but the defenceless little girl, who was not even a metre tall, had over 65 separate injuries to her tiny body. A fractured skull, tears to her liver, the list goes on. The piece of scum was convicted. He got a 'life sentence'. Which as anyone who lives in the UK knows, most of the time isn't actually a life sentence. He will be up for parole in 22 years. When he's 49. The family said they are"pleased justice has been served." Justice hasn't been served. In 22 years, he could be free to roam the streets again. Free to pop down the shop for a pint of milk. Free to possibly have more children. That innocent little girl who trusted him to look after her will still be dead. She never made it to her first day of school. Never got to make her friends for life. Watch her favourite cartoon again. Eat her favourite food again. Go to the park again. Be in a nativity play. Go to her prom. Get married. Her life was so cruelly ripped away and the disgrace of a human being that did that is currently languishing in a prison that probably has better conditions than some of our elderly are currently living in. He had 38 previous convictions, a fair few for domestic assualt. Why the FUCK wasn't he already in prison before this? Why was it not mandatory for him to have to report to some sort of authority that he was in a new relationship with someone that had a child? In what planet does anyone think that this monster should be allowed to ever walk our streets again? Why doesn't life mean life?! I am aware people can reform but when you have committed such an awful act on a defenceless child, you should pay for the rest of your life! The monster was emotionless as he was convicted. He was emotionless when he told her Mother she'd fallen off a bed and hurt her head after he'd brutally attacked her in all manner of vile ways. He will not reform, he shouldn't even be given the chance to reform. 

Again I ask why doesn't life mean LIFE?

Why should your sentence be a reflection of where you are in the class system rather than the crime you have committed?

My biggest fear is not only my Daughter coming to harm but that if she did, I would be left with my heart ripped out of my body asking "Where is the justice?"

The Kitschy Mumma




Diary of an imperfect mum
Mummuddlingthrough

16 comments:

  1. What horrible stories - it's a sad truth that rich people often get off with lighter sentences simply because of their privilege. A crime is a crime, no matter how much money is in your bank account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's infuriating isn't it?! Agree with you completely!

      Delete
  2. I completely understand and as a parent feel the same. However these are very emotive topics and thinking about changing the system based on cases like this would lead to a very punitive and American like system, so I can't agree we should change the law. However it sounds like the first case there was no justice and he paid his way out of it, which is disgusting that that can happen.
    I do understand your upset though xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment :) To be honest I think when crimes against children are committed they should feel the full force of the law but I understand what you're saying. It's a very difficult system to understand for me personally as I have extremely strong views (some would say too strong ha)

      Delete
  3. i've shared this. Agree with you whole heartedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! The more people that hear the better.

      Delete
  4. Oh lord, I couldn't even read some of it. Two of my three kids have difficulties with understanding people and learning as part of autism. They are extremely vulnerable and I can't cope with thinking about what might happen if someone... nope cant even type it. Thanks for writing it. #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so scary to think of isn't it?! Children are so innocent and it terrifies me! Much love to you and your babies. Thanks for reading X

      Delete
  5. It's so sad that everything you wrote was true. That there really is no justice. Of course a a parent myself I feel externally over protective and it's purely due to stories like these. Stories that could really happen to anybody and the worst part is that the young children, toddlers and babies can't even report these terrible crimes that had been committed against them. I thought we were supposed to be protecting children? Not seeing a heinous crime and giving somebody a slap on the wrist and give them the golden ticket to return to society and cause yet more hurt and pain.
    I am writing a similar post to this myself, it's nice to see somebody else shred my strong views! #coolmumclub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amie it really does infuriate me! If I could change the justice system to make it harsher for people like this I would do it in a heartbeat! Please send me the link when you've finished your blog post I'd love to read it! X

      Delete
  6. Our American system is no better. It's not just the UK. Way too many children over here get overlooked by the system until they're dead and even then, the vile creatures (I don't consider them human) that commit these awful acts don't even get life. Hell, half the time I see a case like this, the monster ends up getting off completely or being sent to a mental institution but let a teenager get caught with a joint and the law is ready to throw the fucking book at them! It's disgusting and these stories are the reason I don't watch the news either. I just can't. It infuriates me to no end and makes me physically ill. I'm visiting you from #ablogginggoodtime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought the American justice system was harsher, what an eye-opener! It's just so vile isn't it! These poor children that have suffered at the hands of these creatures don't even get justice! Thanks for reading and commenting x

      Delete
  7. Becoming a parent makes you see stories in the media so differently doesn't it - I can completely understand why you were left literally unable to sleep at night. I wonder if those criminals can? And the person who assigned the sentence?
    Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub, sometimes we have to get heavy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your comment! I was a bit nervous of posting it as ignorance is bliss sometimes but I feel it's important to not turn a blind eye and at least be aware. These scumbags have no conscience so I'm assuming they sleep pretty soundly. Infuriating doesn't cover it!Thanks for reading X

      Delete
  8. How awful - i think it is horrendous what some people can get away with!!
    Great post
    thanks for linking to #ablogginggoodtime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me! It really does make you question society and who enforced the rules of the justice system in the first place. Wish I could do more to change it X

      Delete